Monday, March 26, 2012

A defining moment


Everyone has a defining moment in their lives in which they find something that is a perfect fit for them.  Whether that find is dancing, a significant other, music, traveling or simply watching movies, it is something that brings joy and enriches their day.  We all have these things we value and cherish but do we remember how it happened?  Can you think of the day, who you were with and where you found this person or thing that makes you so happy?  For me, part of my struggle is remembering these specifics.  I can express why I do something or how it makes me feel, but I find it hard to pinpoint the defining moments of the very things that define who I am.  This is fortunately not the case with one of my biggest hobbies... cycling.

I think it was 06' or 07' right around the time I was working at Costco in San Luis Obispo.  I was going to school at Cuesta College and was also working as a cashier part time.  Since I lived relitively close to work I thought it was silly to drive such a short distance, and since I was driving a Nissan Xterra (awesome ride btw) I thought it would be nice to save on gas.  This is where my rationale came for getting a bike.  Deciding on what bike to get was not much of a challenge for me.  I remeber as a kid, my dad had an old blue road bike with drop handlebars and the typical skinny tires.  Being 5 years old I thought that it must have been the fastest bike in the world.  Something about growing up with that bike hanging in the garage must have influenced me because I knew I wanted "the fast bike!"  Knowing I wanted a road bike, I set my laughable  budget of $200 and began my search.  After awhile I came to a decision.  I decided on a GMC Denali from Wally World.  Knowing what I know now I never would have gone that route but thats another story that I'm sure I'll cover later.  Anyhow, after waiting a week my bike came in the mail.  Boy was I excited.  I tore the box open, assembled the bike and set out on my first ride as an adult on "the fastest bike in the world."  That first ride was no more then a few laps around the neighborhood, but in those few laps I realized that I was having a great time!  Riding around the block had this sort of nostalgia about it.  It brought back memories of being a kid skidding the back tire of my bmx bike laughing as I tried to write my name in the street.  This simple pleasure was all I needed and more then I asked for.  I wanted a source of transportation and ended up with a new love.  I was hooked.  Since that sunny day in SLO, I have racked up thousands of enjoyable miles and hundreds of unique experiences.  I have seen streets and landscapes that I otherwise would have avoided by car,  I have shared rides with friends and I have gotten in great shape.

So can you relate to my experience? Have you found something that never gets old? Never lets you down and most importantly makes you happy?  I would love for my friends and fellow enthusists to share what moves them.

I look forward to your replies!

Sincerely, Spinning Gear

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!