Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 2

As it turns out, sleeping in a sailboat has its caveats.  From the wind tossing the boat into the dock to the ropes slapping the 53 year old wood siding, it certainly made for a noisy night.  After awaking at around 9:30am, I began collecting my things and got myself psyched out for another day in the saddle.  With nothing planned or prepared for breakfast, it was a pleasure have my "boat host" offer me a fresh bagel to eat.  Like a ravenous wolf, I downed the bagel with delight.  My appetite has certainly gone from "eats a lot" to "human garbage disposal".  After the 2 minutes of consuming that poor little bagel, Mike gave me a few recommendations for travel, we shook hands and I left. 

I was off again.  Day 1 a piece of history, and day 2 a new beginning.  Nothing quite like being out of the reach of your comfort zone if something goes wrong.  Just you, your bike and what you have between the ears.  It really is quite exhilarating to be on a journey where no one can help but no one can impeed in your decisions. 

Not long after my departure, I entered the city of Santa Monica.  Following my map, I head northbound on a bike path right on the ocean. Cruising through Santa Monica State Beach I see peddlers setting up their spots on the street.  Already, the walkway is lined with people of all walks of life.  I snap a few photos and keep on a truckin' until I reach 3rd st Promenade.  As I'm cycling up the Promenade, a city employee flags me down.  I almost keep going because I think he's trying to sell me something but I see his city shirt and stop.  He politely  informs me that I cannot ride my bike on the Promenade and I ablige.  Seeing my gear, he asks me questions about my trip, introduces himself as Thomas and as we chat he suggests that I check out the Bikerowave.  When I hear this my jaw drops because Mike, my "boat host" just volunteered there the night I stayed at his place!  When I tell Thomas about Mike we both laugh and says "of course I know Mike!"  What a small world huh?  We chat a bit more, shake hands and I continue on by foot until I'm on a regualr street.  After about 16 miles I enter Malibu and I begin to see vollyball players teaming the sand, expensive Bentleys cruising the streets and shops everwhere.  Around 11am, I decide to stop for an early lunch at a pizza parlor and go for 2 slices of greasy pepperoni.  Rather then waiting to digest, I hop on the bike and keep a truckin'.  As I reach the north end of Malibu I come across Neptunes Net.  For some reason this looks wildly familiar.  As I contemplate what movie I've seen this place in, I stock up on water, snap a photo and keep on keepin' on. 

After battling a nasty headwind and rolling hills, I reach Point Mugu Campground around 3:30pm.  I pay $7 and quickly find a spot in the hiker biker section.  After I set up camp and tour my surroundings, I being talking to my neighbor.  As it turns out, the gentlemans name is Russell and he is on a journey of his own.  Weighing in around 370 lbs, he decided he needed to take drastic measures to loose the weight.  His plan, as it turns out, is to hike 2800 miles over the course of five months!  With a pack of about 100 lbs of gear and eating only trailmix (for the time being), he treks up and down the Pacific Coast Highway on foot everyday!  If you get a chance, check out his YouTube vlog at youtube.com/user/weightlossruss/videos.  After sharing a fire and trading several stories, we check in for the night. 

All in all, Day 2 was a tought but rewarding day.  I got to meet a truly unique and interesting person, run into a stranger with a mutual acquaintance and I was able to camp for the first time in months!  I fought headwinds and hills, but saw many memorable things along the way.  Ahh... life is good.

Until next time

-Spinning Gear 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!