Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Prepping for a Journey

For some, life is about trying new things.  It's about taking yourself out of your comfort zone in search of something fresh and new.  Our objectives may be to visit a new place, meet new people, try new food, or just do something that tests our mental, moral, and physical capabilities.  It is the latter 3  reasons that drives me to do things that are new and foreign.  I believe that by extending beyond our comfort zones, we can explore and discover new things about this great world and ultimately ourselves.  

I recently realized that I have been spending an ever increasing amount of time and showing progressively more interest in what is called "Bicycle Touring".  Bicycle Touring which can be defined as "cycling over long distances – prioritizing pleasure and endurance over utility or speed", is not a new activity.  In fact, when bicycles and touring were still fairly new,  a man named John Foster Fraser and two friends set off round the world on safety bicycles in July 1896. He, Edward Lunn and F. H. Lowe rode 19,237 miles, through 17 countries, in 2 years and 2 months.  Discovering that people were making journeys of this magnitude before today's technology, I found few reasons to not conduct an adventure of my own.  While doing my research, I found many valuable resources such as http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/ and http://www.adventurecycling.org/. Both sources contained a plethora of excellent information about anything and everything related to bike touring.  If you ever want to consider bike touring or just want to learn more about it, I implore you to visit these wonderful sites.

So, my mind is made up.  I'm going to start a bike tour.  Ummmm..... but where and when?  Realizing that I am going to do this solo and with little money, I decided I have to stay fairly local.  After considering the location of my network of family and friends, I thought that touring a portion of the California coast line would be perfect.  I have lived in California my whole life, been to a decent portion of coastline, but have never really seen the coast in all it's vast glory.  I plan to travel from Laguna Beach to San Francisco in 9 days.  During the night I will either camp, or be a guest in someones home.  I found a truly magnificent website called http://www.warmshowers.org/ that basically acts as a portal for all sorts of cycling enthusiasts to offer their homes as a place of rest for people traveling by bike.  During the day, I will navigate using the 3 cycling specific maps I purchased from http://www.adventurecycling.org/.   At the end of my trip, I will dismantle my bike, check it in at the airport, and fly home.

With my plan coming along, I have become increasingly anxious, nervous, doubtful and excited.  All of these thoughts and emotions are racing through my head.  The "what if's" are poisoning my reason, causing me to question my motive, preparedness, and physical fitness.  I sense doubt and negativity from some, and encouragement from others.  As I write this, I realize this is all part of the adventure.  I'm already being tested, learning how to cope and overcome fear.  Fear of the unknown.  Fear of failure.  Fear of letting myself down.  Yet, this IS what I look for in adventures.  To see how far I can push myself.  I must believe, have hope and self confidence.  After all, where would the sense of accomplishment be if I chose to ride my bike down the street?  It's amazing to me that so many people are held back by fear.  Fear, this invisible set of shackles, binds us to the mundane.  Someone may love to sing but be fearful of singing in public.  Someone may love the ocean but be fearful of water.  Fear is ironic is it not?  Once I get into that metaphorical roller coaster and latch down the restraints, I will have no choice but to to enjoy the ride.  My fears will transform into excitement and I will embrace the moment, because that's what it's all about.

I know that we are all put to the test.  Sometimes it's a choice, but other times it's not.  Either way, embrace it, take action and learn from it.  Why else are we here?  Whether your life test comes in the form of a vacation, a miserable job, or a relationship, it's our ability to learn and persevere that make us who we are.  

For now, I chose vacation.

Sincerely, Spinning Gear

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jared,

    Was searching Cycling Pacific coast on twitter and you came up!

    Nice article and definitely the right way to go – vacation!! When are you planning to travel?
    We're just starting to train to ride the full length from Vancouver to Tijuana in August for charity. We're novices at touring so appreciate all the tips and advice we can get. Great sites for info - especially warmshowers!

    I've added your blog to ours - http://cyclepacificcoast.blogspot.ca/

    Would be great to keep in touch to share information!

    Take care and good luck with the planning

    Holly

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!